In Focus Middle School Guide (Grades 6-8)
In Focus helps students develop social and emotional intelligence, critical to success in school and beyond. This book contains three parts, each of which addresses the needs of a different area of students' brains:
- Part 1 focuses on safety, security, and connection in the classroom (needs of the brain stem)
- Part 2 focuses on identifying and expressing different emotions (needs of the limbic system)
- Part 3 focuses on managing and harnessing emotions to support and enhance learning (needs of the cortext).
In Focus provides lessons that take just minutes a day to help students . . .
- feel safe and ready to learn,
- behave in positive and constructive ways,
- manage and express emotions responsibly,
- gain focus and improve attention,
- reduce stress and calm themselves,
- eliminate bullying and impulsive behavior,
- elevate their self-esteem and confidence,
- improve teamwork and collaboration,
- become healthier and more responsible,
- develop intellectually and academically, and
- gain the social skills that employers seek.